bottom3 with pointe setter grouse and woodcock
nawc crop
376256384 2209306359273106 464162829989956240 n

The 51st North American Woodcock Championship and the 47th Woodcock Futurity

Reporter, Robert Little McAdam, NB
Chasehill Poison Ivy repeats as Champion and Cairds Cracklin Rosie takes Runner-up Champion at the 51st renewal of the North American Woodcock Championship.
A September heatwave in New Brunswick is not unusual but three days of mid-80s temperatures and high humidity was something we certainly could have lived without.
The hot weather started on Thursday, September 7, the day we held the North American Woodcock Futurity and never let up until overnight Saturday. As Joe Dahl put it, this was the worst weather for this trial since it was canceled by a blizzard back in '89 when the trial was held in October at Havelock.
This is the sixth year we have held this Championship in McAdam, NB. The Championship ran for over thirty-five years in Havelock, NB, and a number of years at Dave Palmer's farm in Nackawic, NB. This was the 51st renewal of the trial with the only cancellation being in 2020 due to the Covid border closure. All of the championships have been run by the Maritime Bird Dog Club.
Our major sponsor for this trial is Corey Nutrition makers of Inukshuk dog food. Year after year they generously pay for our field trial advertisement in the American Field, provide swag and food for our fundraiser raffle and this year provided twelve bags of food representing a year's supply for the winning dog. Company reps Brian Connolly and David Corey joined us for the first day of the Championship, chatted with the competitors, and answered questions. They even jumped in to help us shuttle vehicles for the first three braces. Thanks guys!
We also want to recognize and thank Ross Faulkner, owner of The Gun Dealer, the largest firearms and sporting goods store in Atlantic Canada located right here in McAdam. Ross makes a generous donation of a prize item each year that is the centerpiece of our raffle.
Club member Kyle Price also stepped up to donate an Orvis fly rod to the raffle. Thank you, Kyle, for that very nice donation.
The McAdam trials probably wouldn't exist unless we had Hoof and Paw Outfitters to provide accommodations to the trialers. Norm Dewitt, who was just coming off ankle surgery, was on hand to welcome everyone, and his great cook, Flora Densmore, made sure everyone was well-fed.
Our judges this year were Eric Rizza and Doug Dix. Eric was our returning judge and is off the hook for next year but Doug has generously agreed to come back next year to judge again. The judges brought their wives Roberta Rizza and Laurie Dix and rented cabins at nearby Palfrey Lake Lodge. Jean Day, the proprietor, entertained the ladies during the day and it was certainly nice weather for camping. Thank you Jean.
The Winners
Brace 13
With three braces remaining on Sunday morning, the weather cooled significantly overnight and a renewed vigor was evident in both handlers and dogs. The first two days of the championship could only be described as brutal.
Brace 13 on the Lakeland Course featured Wynot Lottie with Al Robbins and last year's champion Chasehill Poison Ivy with John Stolgitis. Lakeland was birdless during the first two days of the trial yet Stolgitis had a premonition at the draw that Ivy would be drawn in brace 13 on Lakeland. Both dogs broke away with power at 7:32 a.m. and settled in to hunt the new cutover that makes up the first 20 minutes of the brace. Things began to look up when two grouse were walked up on course at 13. Suddenly Ivy's bell fell silent at 22 about a hundred yards to the right of the course at the edge of an alder swamp where birds have been pointed in previous years. Stolgitis and Judge Dix found Ivy and quickly put a grouse to flight all in order.
Both dogs hunted hard for the remainder of the brace and another grouse was walked up by the gallery at 37. The smile on Ivy's owner, Al Raiano's face at the end of this brace told the story.
Brace 15 (the final brace)
This brace featured Cairds Cracklin Rosie owned and handled by this reporter and Wild Apple Hard Cider owned by Don Keddy and handled by Craig Doherty. Doherty indicated before starting that he might pick up before the first turn if Cider had no birds at that point. Even after checking our bells at the truck, the bells were difficult to differentiate early on in this brace. At 12 Doherty elected to pick up. Shortly after at 18 Rosie stopped about sixty yards ahead on the right. Despite the handler thinking he could walk right to the dog, it took three or four minutes to locate Rosie who had let down at this point, and with the bird obviously gone she was whistled on. Entering the heavier canopy Rosie made huge casts covering all the right places and at 45 her bell fell silent to the left of the course as we started down off the ridge. As we entered the swampy area where the bell had stopped, Judge Rizza pointed out a running grouse that went down the waterway and blew out. We circled back and found Rosie standing in the area the grouse had vacated. The Gun was fired and all was in order. Rosie continued her hard-charging race to the front for the remainder of the brace.
The Running
Brace 1 Lakeland
Old Glory Ben- Austin Parsons
Asper Hill Bandit -Jon Cullen
Each dog hunted the cover for the whole course and at 57 Ben stopped, however, Bandit failed to back. The stop did not produce a bird.
Each dog hunted the cover for the whole course and at 57 Ben stopped, however Bandit failed to back. The stop did not produce a bird.
Brace 2 Diggity
Magic Mist Sydni -Joe Dahl
Elhew Snake Dancer - Craig Doherty
Veteran field trialers Dahl and Doherty turned their charges loose with optimism as this course produced the winning performance last year. At 40, Sydni stopped off course at the same time a grouse was seen running on the road. As handler and judge Rizza approached the dog Dahl called bird to the left but was not heard by the judge. After a brief flushing attempt Sydni was sent on and as Dahl and Rizza returned to the course another grouse flushed from a tree. Some bad luck for Joe and Sydni on this day. Sydni had a strong race from start to finish. Snake Dancer also ran well but birdless.
Brace 3 Casey Brook
Wynot Rosco - Al Robbins
Neo- Adam Dubriske
The gallery walked up a brood of three grouse at 8.
Dogs went birdless for the remainder. Neo was tougher to pick up at time. Owner Dave Theroux was on hand to watch and scout.
Brace 4 County Line North
Chasehill Snoop Dog - John Stolgitis
Cairds Rip It Up - Bob Little
Cairds Rip It Up (call name Timmy) was running in his first championship as he just got his qualifying win the previous weekend as he took first and second in the Labor Day Weekend Trial we held.
Both dogs hunted the cover and handled well. Timmy suffered an unproductive at 23 with Snoop backing. At 27 Snoop stopped near the brook crossing. Stolgitis called bird and fired, however judge Dix did not hear the bird. At 35 Timmy stopped hard in the pole timber with Snoop coming in to back. After a flushing attempt to the front, Timmy was relocated only to run over a grouse 10 yards behind him. Ouch, that one hurt.
Snoop continued on and had an unproductive at 58.
Brace 5 County Line South
Ralphy's Chasehill Rip -John Stolgitis
Super Storm Nell -Adam Dubriske
Nell pointed at 12 on the upper side of the power line but nothing was produced.
Rip stopped at 33 way to the left in a swamp. Grouse produced and all in order.
Rip stopped again at 52 in another swamp but was moved on by handler.
Nell stopped at 55, again in wet ground and it took some navigating to get to her due to deep water in places. She was finally found with a grouse with all in order.
These two dogs were carried by the judges until the last morning.
Brace 6 Lynnfield
Panola Bacon -John Stolgitis
Paucek's Up For Adventure -London
It was wicked hot and steamy as this brace broke away.
Up for Adventure had a woodcock find at 8 and an unproductive at 13. This young setter showed a lot of guts and finished her hour.
Bacon was leashed by Stolgitis at 29.
Brace 7 Lakeland
Sunkhaze Vera Masardis -Mike Flewelling
Mooselook Fionn - Jack McNulty
The morning started hot and got hotter. Unlike day one the woods were dry and dogs felt the heat earlier.
Both Vera and Fionn finished with no birds. Vera had a big race with Fionn running closer.
Brace 8 Diggity
Chasehill Wicked Wilma - John Stolgitis
North Country Soda Pop - Adam Dubriske
Both Wilma and Soda Pop had strong races. Stolgitis chose to pick up at 45 at the bridge. Dubriske carried on across the bridge with Soda Pop stopping at 46. No birds were produced.
Brace 9 Casey Brook
Chasehill Wango Tango - John Stolgitis
Mooselook Texas Star - Jack McNulty
Tango started off big to the front. Great race but no birds.
Tex pointed at 52 as they came on to the homestretch road. After a flushing attempt by McNulty, Tex was moved on and shortly after a grouse flushed from a tree.
Brace 10 County Line North
Partridge Hollow Elrumhew -Adam Dubriske
Elhew Snakewood was scratched.
The heat was starting to get extreme and Elrumhew was picked up at 28.
Brace 11
Henry's SuzieQ Dot - Dave Theroux
Wild Apple Pop's Dorothy -Craig Doherty
Very hot and humid at this point.
SuzieQ Dot stopped hard near the course at 40. Dorothy came in to back and then decided to leave the scene and was leashed. Theroux moved SuzieQ on. SuzieQ Dot stopped again at 50 in a known woodcock area but no birds were produced. This setter showed some heat tolerance on this day.
Brace 12 Lynnfield
Duckhook - Mike Flewelling
Cairds Southern Child - Bob Little
Both dogs started hard and ran to the front. Southern Child's bell was lost near the first turn. His bell was heard starting up to the left at 10 with nefarious activity suspected by the handler. The handler was unable to get him to the front and requested tracker at 18. A woodcock was walked up on the is course around the same time. Duckhook and Flewelling continued on but picked up at 30.
Brace 13 described under "The Winners"
Brace 14 Diggity
Boomer of Blackwater - Mike Flewelling
Sweet Southern Child- Jonathan Wilkins
Belle got out of pocket and lost at 10. Tracker requested at 20.
Boomer had unproductive at 21 and 28 then was picked up.
Brace 15 described under " The Winners".
The North American Woodcock Futurity September 7, 2023.
Mohawk Mill Double E wins the 47th running of the North American Woodcock Futurity. Double E was handled by John Stolgitis, owned by Ellen Clements and Erin Stolgitis, and bred by Gary Winall.
We ran the Futurity the day before the Championship this year for the first time. We will probably continue doing that as it gives the young dogs a better opportunity when they have the day for themselves.
We ran the Futurity on four half-hour courses this year that were known to have woodcock. The Club wants to thank Joe Dahl for his continued work on the Futurity administration duties.
Steve Forrest was listed to judge, however, came down with a virus and couldn't make it. We wish to thank Jon Cullen for bailing us out and agreeing to judge at the last minute.
Jon joined Robert Little in looking over the eleven young hopefuls.
Brace 1
Mooselook Wild Apple Bruin- Jack McNulty
Mohawk Mill Miss Ellie -John Stolgitis
Both dogs went birdless. Ellie hit the cover well and ran to the front. Bruin is an off-age derby and showed his immaturity with a closer race and short casts.
Brace 2
Wynot Hannah - Al Robbins
Mohawk Mill Miss You - John Stolgitis
This can be a tough course for young dogs but they started out well. Miss You went deep to the right and was gone 7 minutes or so.
Hannah stayed to the front and hit the cover well.
Brace 3
Wild Apple Hazelnut- Craig Doherty
Sunkhaze Orange Gerry - Mike Flewelling
A woodcock got up early to the right of course as both dogs were in the area and both handlers fired. Hazel was a little closer the first half but made better moves on the second half of the brace. Gerry is a well-put-together pointer who hunted hard with animation and handled well with bigger range.
Brace 4
Mohawk Mill Double E - John Stolgitis
Bravel Rags 2 Riches - Adam Dubriske
Rags to Riches ran out from the breakaway and didn't return. Tracker requested at 8.
Double E hunted the cover very well and was rewarded with woodcock finds at 18 and 23 which garnered her the first place honors.
Brace 5
Chasehill Snoop Dog - John Stolgitis
Elmer's Waltzing Matilda -Donald Henderson
Matilda hunted the cover albeit with shorter casts. She had a stop to flush on a woodcock at 22.
Snoop Dog made some bigger moves and was rewarded with a broke grouse find at 20.
Brace 6
Old Glory Ginger - Austin Parsons
Ginger ran up the road from the breakaway and didn't return. Tracker requested at 11.
First- Mohawk Mill Double E Stolgitis, Clements/Stolgitis, Winall
Second- Chasehill Snoop Dog Stolgitis, Erin Stolgitis, Stolgitis
Third- Mohawk Mill Miss Ellie Stolgitis, Erin Stolgitis, Winall
Fourth - Sunkhaze Orange Gerry Flewelling, Flewelling, Winallwell-put-together
no. american woodcock chwinnersf22

Report by Russell Ogilvie The 50th running of the North American Woodcock Championship


North American Woodcock Championship Winners. Front John Stolgitis with Champion Chasehill Poison Ivy Steve Forrest with Runner-Up Wynot Pete. Back Judge Eric Rizza, Allan Raiano, and Judge Leonard Sinclair.
The 50th running of the North American Woodcock Championship kicked off on Friday, September 9. What a difference a year made, both good and not so good. Crossing the border was once again fluid but as in most trials, weather plays a key role. Last year was torrential down pours, this year was beach weather. Preparing your dog and yourself to compete in not so perfect training conditions is so important and it showed this year.
The champion, Chasehill Poison Ivy owned by Allan Raiano and handled by John Stolgitis came out of the 11th brace. Allan was part of the gallery so he saw her performance first hand. Ivy was braced with Upper Ten Hot Rod, a nice young pointer owned and handled by John Adsit from Vermont. Both dogs were cut loose in 80 degree temperatures down the hill on Diggity Stream. It was a little fortunate that most of the course was on the shaded side of the hill. Ivy started off a little slow, not seeming to have her normal drive. As we strolled down the trail, Rod worked the cover at a moderate pace while Ivy ranged a little farther and deeper. Still not laying down the performance of previous braces. Ivy's bell fell silent at 13:00 to the right of the course. She was quickly spotted standing in some mixed growth. As Stolgitis moved in to flush, everyone slammed on the breaks and stopped to listen. And there it was...the unique sound of a grouse cluck. Out in front of Ivy stood a big ole drummer in all his glory fanned out. Once Mr Drummer realized the situation was not good, he thundered away and Ivy had her first find. The grouse sent Ivy into a new gear and when she was turned loose, she laid it down. Out in front and in the pocket making it easy for the judges to understand what was happening. Ivy stopped again at 26:00 but nothing could be produced and was moved on. In most cases, as a gallery member, it's not often you get to see much of the action at coverdog trials. At 31:00 Ivy treated everyone in tow as she was coming in from the right and as she hit the trail, she wheeled and slammed on point for everyone to see. Stolgitis stepped in and a grouse blew out just in front of her. After some mud puddle cool down, back to work she went. At this point, the heat had gotten the best of Tucker and he was picked up. Ivy went deep to the right and was crossing over out in front when her bell fell silent for a third time. This time the gallery got to see birds blow out as she had nailed a large brood. With plenty of time left, across the bridge and into the sunlight we went. Ivy did not disappoint as she drove up the hill until time was called. Ivy, a first year shooting dog, is not new to the podium. In her derby year, she notched her first championship as well as the honor of runner-up in the Invitational.
The runner-up, Wynot Pete owned and handled by Steve Forrest came out of the last brace of the trial.The 16th brace was a hot one and everyone was feeling it. Judges had a number of dogs to choose from so it was get it done or grab your lead. Pete was braced with Duckhook (Stolgitis) on Cassidy Brook. This course is a nice flowing course and tends to be one of the better bird course year after year. Up until this point, birds had been seen but not a single bird had been pointed.The final brace was cut loose and both dogs drove hard down the trail. Brute would be the first to return and cut back in to check the raspberry patches out. Pete was still deep, on the edge of the bell. Forrest walked on listening with the judges of the light ting out in front. Dogs sitting in a box for days before they run often have some pent up energy to burn off and once he was done, Pete came back, checked in, and went to work. As we passed the bog, Pete's bell fell silent to the right of the course at 15:00. As we searched, Brute's bell fell silent to the left of the course. Forrest was able to locate Pete in short order and as he worked out to the right of him, I watched Pete's eye's move from right to left making it obvious he saw something I couldn't. Forrest quickly made his way over and sent the grouse shooting out over the gallery. With all in order, back to the course and up the trail he went. Brute however was less fortunate. After a long search, he could not be located and the tracker was called for only to be found pointed with a grouse in front of him. As we walked, wondering when summer was going to cool its fire, the second judge caught up to us and had the opportunity witness such a fine performance. Pete, with the temperatures nearing mid-80's just plain worked and grinded it out. The biggest challenge that Forrest had was trying to get Pete to come in for water! When we popped out of the woods and onto the final stretch of road, it would have been easy for a dog to let down and or even quit. Pete had nothing like that in mind. He stayed deep and to the front with more run in him when time was called.
The 50th running of the North American was a good one. A strong field was presented to Judge Eric Rizza and Leonard Sinclair. Both fought the heat and the cover to make sure every dog received their attention. When judges have to talk often after the conclusion of a brace, you know the field is a quality one. Good coverdog judges are hard to come by and we thank them for taking time away from their jobs and family to support us.
The North American would not even be possible without the Maritime Bird Dog Club. In particular Bob Little. Many people know him for those who don't, Bob is a diehard bird dog man. His passion and his belief that field trials make better bird dogs is second to non. While the club has many members, we are spread far and wide so it was up to Bob and Donald Henderson to get everything ready. No small task to say the least. Club members and the trialers thank them for their tireless work. Well, if you have never been to the North American, then you haven't had the opportunity to stay at Normy's aka the Hoof and Paw B&B. I dare to say that it has to be one of the best places to stay at for a field trial. Plenty of space to stake out dogs, everyone stays at the same spot, its low key, great social atmosphere, and the food is great with plenty of it. Ah yes...and the stories.. Every trial is supported in many ways. We are proud to have Cory Nutrition, the makers of Inukshuk dog food, as a great sponsor of the North American. They graciously covered our advertisement and provided items for our raffle. On Friday, they were in attendance to provide updates on their product line and to answer any questions we had. They then stayed to watch and video some of the trial. I'm sure you can go to their site and located the footage. Great guys, company, and product. In the world of never ending dog food, they have come to the forefront. Last but not least we would like to thank Sport Dog Canada for donating the collars for this year's winners. We work our dogs hard and through some of the toughest conditions around. We need quality gear and Sport Dog produces it. If you every on the fence about attending, lean over and come. It's a great trial!
The Running
Springbrook Maximus (Ogilvie) and Wild Apple Hard Cider (Doherty) drew first brace of the championship. With some moisture still on the ground, the dogs were cut loose on Mann Rd. The gallery was large as everyone was excited to kick of the trial. Max and Cider drove forward. Action started early as Max worked the right side of the trail and stopped at 9:00. Cider came in and stopped as well. Max was located with Cider backing. Ogilvie flushed sending a pair of woodcock out across the road. With dogs collard back to the course, down the road they went. Max stopped just of the road on the left this time but nothing was home. Cider had moved forward and nailed a woodcock at 21:00. Max would be next as he stopped at 25:00 with a woodcock on the right of the course. Cider went back in action with another woodcock find at 35:00. After turning into the woods, Max would stop to the right at 39:00. When he was located, he didn't look sure of his self and he was taken on. He drove up the course with Cider working forward as well. They both hit the clearing with Max entering a peninsula. Max's bell stopped and shortly after Cider's did as well. After the dogs were located, Cider was honoring Max. The first flush attempt was unsuccessful and Max was relocated, He surged forward only to slam on point again the open woods. Again the flushing attempted failed and he was sent on only to come to another sudden stop. This time his eye movement showed a running bird and with an aggressive flush, the grouse was sent flying. Cider got right back in the mix with a woodcock at 48:00. Max would stop at 49:00 after we crossed the woods road but could not be located. He finally moved on just as time was being called. Cider finished his run with a stop to flush on a woodcock at 50:00. A great start to the trial.
The 2nd brace of the day was Elhew Snakecharmed (Doherty) and Chasehill Little Izzy (Stolgitis) on County Line South. Both dogs broke away strong. They made it across the powerline without much trouble. This turn, for whatever reason, tends to grab dogs and make it challenging to move forward. The dogs and the large gallery walked along. Izzy gliding through the cover going strong. Lizzy was running well and both dogs seemed to feed of each other. As we made the corner, Izzy's bell stopped to the front. As Stolgitis search, the gallery called point as they could see her standing out ahead. When the handler made it to her, a brood of grouse erupted from everywhere with all in order. With dogs once again moving forward, Izzy's bell stopped again at 57:00 within sight of the course. As Stolgitis moved in to flush, his brace mate came in to help him ending her day but everything was in order for Izzy's. With her run, Izzy was a dog the judges carried until the end.
The 3rd brace of the day broke away of County Line North. This course is very similar to county line south, we just break away in the opposite direction. Ralphies Chasaehill Rip (Stolgitis) and Magic Mist Sydni (Dahl) broke away. With no action before the powerline, the handlers worked to get them across. Just after we crossed, Rip was forward and Sydni was driving hard. Rip stopped out ahead at 16:00 while Sydni moved out to the left. As Stolgitis flushed, Rip moved up and ended his day. As this was going on, Sydni's bell fell silent but it was hard to pin point her location and after some searching, the tracker was called.
Brace 4 included Daddy's Little Boy Butch (Stolgitist) and Elhew Snakewood (Doherty). With the temperatures starting to climb, the dogs took of down the opening breakaway of Cassidy Brook. Both making a strong cast. Cobe would be the first to return but went back out. Unfortuantely both dogs had energy to burn and they missed some quality cover near the breakaway. Cobe would stop just of the trail at 14:00 but went with a woodcock. Butch, still making bold moves, returned and abruptly stopped at 25:00 in the trail. Stolgitis, not liking his posture, moved him on and nothing was located. If my math is right, Butch will be turning 8 but his run did not indicate that. We laid down a youthful race and with time running out, he stopped. Butch was located but was sent on but he could not pin anything down.
Brace 5 had Panola Bacon (Stolgitis) and Moonlight Crown Jewel (Joyal) heading down the hill on Diggity Stream. By this time the temperatures were in the 80's and the dogs needed any water they could find. Bacon had one of the better ground races of the trial but came up empty. The heat got to Crown and Joyal picked her up at 44:00.
The last brace of the day, brace 6, had Sunkhaze Viera Masardis (Flewelling) and Carolinas Great Pee Dee (Joyal). Lakeland is a great course for showing a dog as it runs through older growth timber with pockets of softwood and raspberry patches and it holds birds. Perfect for a driving grouse dog. Unfortunately, this go around had nothing to report other than Flewelling's derby, Viera 's had a mature ground race and with even one find, might of led to a long judge's discussion.
Day 2:
The morning started out with some welcoming fog and cloud cover. The heat was coming, we just weren't sure how long we had. Chasehill Hidden Jewel (Stolgitis) and Mooselook Fionn) McNulty were let loose on Mann Road. Both dogs moved well down the road but we didn't have any action like the previous morning. The handlers cut into the woods and Fionn eventually stop at 39:00 to the right of the path. A bird was seen lifting out but was not witnessed by either judge. Juju would came in to honor. Both dogs made it too the blueberry field without any success.
With the cloud cover holding on, Brace 8 broke away at County Line South. Sweet Southern Belle (Little) and Mooselook Mac (McNulty) had drawn the honors. Belle had other thoughts than trialing today and she got caught up in the corner and the tracker was called. Mac, had the right frame of mind and crossed the powerline and went to work. Mac's bell fell silent at 20:00 and McNulty produced a woodcock for his setter. With that find, Mac went into a different gear and really started to work. He was rewarded again at 35:00 with a mannerly grouse find to the right of the course. Mac laid down a solid ground race that might have been hindered do to the lack of a brace mate. Mac would nail his third find of the morning with a grouse just of the trail at 55:00. He would suffer an unproductive at 58:00.
Brace 9 had Wild Apple Boa Constrictor (Doherty) and Movelle's Chewy (Forrest). Both dog broke out into the first part of the powerline. Chewy going to the right. Forrest was able to get him to swing back across. Bo was not showing any signs of a strong race and was picked up. Chewy stopped to the left of the course at 12:00 and could be seen by the gallery. Forrest flushed but could not produce a bird. Forrest decided to take him back to the course and turned him loose. Chewy cut back down to the area he had pointed and was coming back up when a grouse blew out and ended his day.
With the sun showing all its glory, brace 10 had Wild Apple Snake Charmed (Doherty) and Little Miss Margarette (Stolgitis) cut loose on Cassidy Brook. Both dogs had strong break away's and missed some likely cover. Peppa returned earlier and hunted well. Margarette ran well and had a stop at 14:00 to the right of the course. Stoligist could not produce a bird and had an unsuccessful relocation. Both dogs finished the hot hour without any bird work.
Brace 11: Reported Earlier.
With the sun at our backs and the hill to the front, the final brace of the day included Movelle's Nino (Forrest) and Miramachi Rivers Real Coy (Little). Both glided through the woods. With bell's being similar, it was tough at times to identify who was doing what other than they were out in front. Nino looked really good going through the timber and for a good portion of the hour the heat didn't seem to phase him. However, Forrest noticed that when he came in, he laid down and decided not to risk it and picked him up. As we turned the corner at the old log yard to complete the last 15 minutes of the course, Little looked at a raspberry patch and made a comment about a likely grouse location. As Coy skirted the edge and everyone walked by, a brood of grouse suddenly blew out on cue. As people chuckled and shook their head, all we could do was move on. Less than 5 minutes latter a grouse was walked up and then a couple of more. As Coy swung in, birds were just randomly getting up. It didn't end well for Coy as he did not stop ending his opportunity. Birds seemed to bust up out of the raspberry patches and trees for the next 100 yards. Easily a dozen or so birds in that span.
Day 3
With very little dew and no cloud cover, day 3 was going to start out hot and quickly get worse. Old Glory Ben (Parsons) and Whynot Sully (Forrest) headed of down Mann Rd. Ben had some legs to him and hunted deep to the left. Ben would stop at 16:00 on the edge of the road but was sent on. He hung around the area for a bit before heading to the front. Sully was showing a moderate race as we turned into the woods. Sully would start and stop off the right. Forrest went in and decided that nothing good was going on and picked him up. Ben would move strong to the front. Just after we crossed the old road, his bell fell silent at 45:00. Parson's and the judges had missed him and as the gallery walked up, point was called as a little piece of orange was seen in the green growth. As the handler got close, a grouse lifted and all was in order. Ben would hit the blueberry field going well and would stop one last time to the left. After a long search, Ben was located but nothing could be produced.
Brace 14 included Calamy's Soul Man and Ralphies Chasehill Molly on County Line south. Both dog made it easily across the powerline and into the bigger woods. Molly running a solid race for a fall derby. Elwood was forward and going strong. The gallery walked up birds early but neither dog was near. Elwood would be the first to stop deep to the right at 47:00. There was a long search and even with a tinkle of his bell, he could not be found. At 58:00, he had enough and moved on. Molly was forward and stopped at 56:00 on a woodcock will all in order.
Movelle's Pete (Forrest) and Cairds Southern Child (Henderson) had hot conditions for brace 15. Rory and Pete had some legs and were challenging to handle. Rory had a stop at 14:00 but kept relocating until finally moving on. At 36:00, it looked like Rory was going to run himself out and with the heat, Henderson did the wise move and picked him up. Pete would stay down a little longer but he too was taken up.
Brace 16: Mentioned earlier.
When it was all said and done, we moved 50 birds for the trial. 38 Grouse and 12 Woodcock.
McAdam, N. B., September 9
Judges: Eric Rizza and Leonard Sinclair
NORTH AMERICAN WOODCOCK CHAMPIONSHIP [One-Hour Heats] - 27 Pointers and 5 Setters
Winner-CHASEHILL POISON IVY, 1694453, pointer female, by Panola Bacon-Chasehill Little Izzy. Al Raiano, owner; John Stolgitis, handler.
Runner-Up-WYNOT PETE, 1680454, pointer male, by Wynot Atom-Northwoods Maddie. Steven Forrest, owner and handler.
240633501 1685502944986786 7719837190091489006 n
And the winners of the 49 th Renewal North American Woodcock Championship is Bear River Victory CHAMPION Handled by Robert Lyttle owner Christopher Clarke and Runner Up Magic Mist Sydni Joseph Roy Dahl
NAWC AD 2021
northamericanwoododck 2

McAdam, N. B., September 14 2019

Judges: Ian Corbett and Lester Turner


26 Pointers and 13 Setters

Winner—DADDY’S LITTLE BOY BUTCH, 1655649, pointer male, by Chasehill Little Bud—Richfield Stella. Paul Scott, owner; John Stolgitis, handler.

Runner-Up—DUCK HOOK, 1668288, pointer male, by Erin’s War Creek—Brave Heart Cassie. Richard Straub, owner; John Stolgitis, handler.


t1200 Ch.

McAdam, N. B., September 14 2018

Judges: Bill Bonnetti and Ron Levitan


21 Pointers, 9 Setters and 1 Irish Setter

Winner—WILD APPLE CALVADOS, 1649834, pointer female, by Autumn Moon—Cover Dog Covergirl. Tim Kisieleski, owner, Craig Doherty, handler.

Runner-Up—CAIRDS LEFTY, 1673245, pointer male, by Knight’s White Light—Pine Hollow Belle. Travis J. Riggs & Tom Togno, owners; Robert Little, handler


t200 20170917 115505

McAdam, New Brunswick, September 14 2017

Judges: Bill Bonnetti and Calvin Robinson

NORTH AMERICAN WOODCOCK CHAMPIONSHIP [One-Hour Heats] — 19 Pointers and 11 Setters

Winner—DADDY’S LITTLE BOY BUTCH, 1655649, pointer male, by Chasehill Little Bud—Richfield Stella. Paul Scott, owner; John Stolgitis, handler.

Runner-Up—FERNWOOD COVE’S BELLA, 1618981, setter female, by Pennstar—Magic Mist Bandit. Jim Gill, Jr., owner; Joe Dahl, handler.


f North American Ch

McAdam, N. B., September 30 2016

Judges: Bobby Phillips and Calvin Robinson

NORTH AMERICAN WOODCOCK CHAMPIONSHIP [One-Hour Heats] — 11 Pointers and 9 Setters

Winner—UPPER TEN TUCKER, 1654906, pointer male, by Chasehill Little Bud—Racey Kate. John Adsit, owner and handler.

Runner-Up—BACKSTEP RUDY, 1648229, setter male, by Stillmeadow’s Jim—Kelly’s Rainbow Daisey. Kevin Lahoda, owner and handler.


t1200 Woodcock Ch

Nackawic, N. B., September 10 2015

Judges: Michael Spotts and Richard Brenneman

NORTH AMERICAN WOODCOCK CHAMPIONSHIP [One-Hour Heats] — 10 Pointers, 13 Setters and 2 Irish Setters

Winner—CAIRDS LITTLE MACY MAE, 1656016, pointer female, by Chasehill Little Bud—Richfield Stella. Robert Little, owner and handler.

Runner-Up—WOODCOCK HAVEN STELLA, 1642596, female, by Woodcock Haven High Point—Woodcock Haven Redneck Girl. Russell Ogilvie, owner and handler.


t600 20140913 165157

Nackawic, N. B., September 12 2014

Judges: Steve Forrest and Russell Ogilvie

NORTH AMERICAN WOODCOCK CHAMPIONSHIP [One-Hour Heats] — 14 Pointers and 11 Setters

Winner—NIC OF TIME, 1643798, pointer male, by Beaver Meadow Benjamin—Richfield Kate’s Candy. Jim Kilrain, owner; John Stolgitis, handler.

Runner-Up—CHASEHILL BEN FRANKLIN, 1603979, pointer male, by Chasehill Little Bud—Richfield Kate’s Candy. Liz Flewelling, owner; John Stolgitis, handler


t600 NA Champ 2013 Pic

Nackawic, New Brunswick, September 14 2013

Judges: Tony Bly and Russell Ogilvie

NORTH AMERICAN WOODCOCK CHAMPIONSHIP [One-Hour Heats] — 16 Pointers, 7 Setters and 1 Brittany

Winner—CHASEHILL LITTLE BUD, 1577246, pointer male, by Beaver Valley Benjamin—Inno Way. John Stolgitis, owner and handler.

Runner-Up—CHASEHILL BIG BRADLEY, 1643892, pointer male, by Beaver Valley Benjamin—Richfield Kate’s Candy. Tadaaki Terada, owner; John Stolgitis, handler.


t600 No. American Woodcock Ch

Nockawic, N. B., September 14 2013

Judges: Tony Bly and Craig Doherty

NORTH AMERICAN WOODCOCK CHAMPIONSHIP [One-Hour Heats] — 15 Pointers and 7 Setters

Winner—CHASEHILL LITTLE BUD, 1577246, pointer male, by Beaver Meadow Benjamin—Inno Way. John Stolgitis, owner and handler.

Runner-Up—MAGIC MIST BANDIT, 1576987, setter female, by Cracklin Tail Speed—Long Gone Spaz. Joseph Dahl, owner and handler


t600 North American Woodcock Chmp

Havelock, New Brunswick, October 1 2011

Judges: Craig Doherty and Michael Spotts


[One-Hour Heats] — 22 Entries

Winner—SWEET PEE, 1586250, pointer male, by Melrose Rebel Buck—Extreme Justice. Steve Smith, owner and handler.

Runner-Up—TRUE PATRIOT, 1542021, setter male, by True Citizen—La Perla. Kellie Short, owner and handler.